What I'm here for...

I am inspired to write on alternative modest swimwear. I received an email from a young lady (16) who told me she was tired of walmart bathing suits. Its hard to find modest swimwear she told me, and who wants to wear a t-shirt over their suit? Nobody does. Sometimes we think its just sooo hard to find anything modest! Well that can be true, but its really not that hard if you just know where to look. And I'll get to that in a moment.. 

Another thing is that everyone has their own sense of style. Some may not like my style, and there are other people out there who make modest swimwear. Maybe you prefer their style over mine? That's just fine. And everyone's sense of what is modest is different too. There are places like LLBean, and Lands End which provide more coverage than some places. And there are people who are perfectly happy with those. What I want to tell you about today is something you may not have realized. And that is that you can find a modest swim shirt...probably just around the corner at your nearest sporting goods store. No, I'm serious. Places like Dick's Sporting Goods, or Dunham's, or even REI! Oh now I'm excited! Who doesn't want to go to an REI!?!? If you've never been, you'll have to go now..just to look around..but that may be all you want to do is look, because REI is expensive! Oh! To stop my rambling and tell you what I'm talking about... Sports shirts made by Under Armor and others can be potential swim shirts. That's right, look through the athletic or running clothing in a sports store near you. Find a shirt that has the stretchy/shiny/quick drying fabric, and you've got a shirt you can swim in! Here's a picture of my sister, Anna. She wanted an under armor shirt and had me make bottoms to coordinate.... 


2012


Sometimes when me or my sisters didn't want to mess up our nice suit by going to the river in it..we could have the option of jean shorts and a shirt...but a much nicer option would be boardshorts and a shirt like the one Anna is wearing above ^

They're not terribly hard to find.. I like this one...





 Here's another example of a friend of mine wearing a sports top as swimwear...


 My friend Tasha, was about 7 months pregnant in this photo. She's wearing a sports tank she likely found at TJMaxx ((though I could ask her to be sure)) The skirt she's wearing I believe was an actual swim skirt, and then she bought some fabric from me and made her own spandex shorts to put under it. See guys... you can do it! Modest swimwear can come in many forms. 

Here's a shot from the back... 


Well, that's all. I just wanted to give a quick encouraging post to show another way you can be modest while swimming. And that's kind of what the title of the post means... I'm here to give ideas, encouragement, and if need be, I'm here to make you a suit. I'm not here to make something you can find in a store, I'm here to make the things you can't find in a store. That's a huge reason many people start sewing; because there's something they want that can't be found in a store.  If it can't be found, make it yourself...or hire someone to make it for you ;-) There's some ideas for you. Go out and explore! Enjoy! 

Comments

  1. Good Job Savannah! Love the post. You were right about everything I did for the suit. :) You know me well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Women's 'Ice Skater Suit'

Training Pants (tutorial)

Types of Swimwear Fabric