My Strawberry Room

When my Sisters and I were little, my Papa, (my Mom's Dad) gave my Mom some vintage Strawberry Shortcake fabric that he'd gotten at auction. Mom, knowing that we were moving to a new home, started planning the girl's room in Strawberry Shortcake. She put a wanted ad in the paper for vintage strawberry shortcake things, and used the fabric to make our blankets, valences, wall hangings, pillow cases, etc... The woman's ability to plan and craft things is amazing!!! When my Sisters and I outgrew the Strawberry Shortcake, it was all put in boxes to be kept for when one of us girls would have girls of our own. And since I loved it most, it was kind of understood that I would keep it. As it were, my first two babies were girls, and now their room is decked out in Strawberry Shortcake :-)  Over the years, before I was even married, I collected more Strawberry Shortcake things and fabrics. I am not going to use all of the fabrics and will de-stash some, but I was really happy to find the exact original fabric mom used and buy enough to make new blankets if needed.

Somewhere I have a picture of what my room used to look like but I'm not 100% sure where they are. But I can share pics of what my girls' room looks like now... 





Pull out bed! (This bed set made by my Husband's Grandfather)


 Blanket



Applique strawberry on pillow case. 



 So smart! These little fabric cutouts, that were meant to be pillows, mom used for several different things...



 These wall hangings originally had pink trim around them. I switched it out for red. Not sure if I should have left it or not...



She took the time to hand quilt them :-)




This is perhaps the most recent addition to the Strawberry room. Mom found this really large wall art piece on ebay, just a few months ago! Isn't it adorable!?!



 I should have taken a better angle of these pictures hanging on the wall... I may do that and update it. I guess I was trying to get them and the strawberry in the photo and forgot about taking a front facing shot of just the pictures...



 At the end of the bed, there's toy buckets, a closet..and down the wall a little is a shelf for shoes, and decor...



 Shelf for shoes and decor...




Top shelf. Most recent thing here is the dish from ebay. All the other things were from what Mom collected 17 years ago.



Dolls on the shelf




Shelf with dolls, books, and CD player for sleepy time :-) The phone and smaller doll were part of the original lot my Mom got for my room, the larger doll I just happened upon at a local swap! I just asked and she gave it to me :-) Totally awesome! Oh and the little cans were from ebay, bought this past year by my Mom.



Play Corner :-)




Wall art that my Mom acquired many years ago (like 17 years ago)






These corner shelves were at one point in my old room, but never with the Strawberry Shortcake theme. They used to be a cream color, and I painted them red to go with this room. 




I believe a neighbor lady gave us this mug..



A recent piece, from ebay most likely... 






 Strawberry Shortcake tins are from ebay, and the apron was made by my Sister, Isabel.



 Little kitchen type cabinet for play. Mom found it at a local antique shop. It was a lighter shade of yellow, but I painted it to match the bright yellow in the room. The spray paint I used did not cover all that well, so I'll eventually take it back outside for some touch up!





 This right here is brilliant!! Those little cut outs that are supposed to be pillows... who ever thought of turning them into wall decor?! Well, my Mom did, that's who! Totally awesome!! :-) She put batting in them, hand quilted them, and sewed a little plastic ring on the back so they could be easily hung on the wall!



 I have yet to make Strawberry Shortcake blankets for the doll beds...but I will at some point!! And when I do, I'll have to update this post!



Little prints above the door :-) 



And that's about it.. This is my Strawberry room :-) Love it!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's 'Ice Skater Suit'

Training Pants (tutorial)

Types of Swimwear Fabric