Heavy Weight Swim Fabric

Through out the year, here and there, I put in orders for swimwear fabric. Okay, I'll fess up...I buy fabric almost all the time lol! My hubby knows its true! Not that its constant, but I do keep an eye out for things I think I'd like. This past Summer, in with some of my fabric orders, came this heavier weight fabric that I'd never seen before. My first feelings were despair, frustration, and simply not knowing what to do! I thought, "This is not what I wanted! What am I supposed to do with it?" This new fabric was different in several ways. It was heavier, a little stiffer, it may not even stretch as far as the medium weight fabric did! The medium weight is what's known as 6oz fabric; this new stuff was 8oz weight; heavier stuff. :sigh: I was not thrilled but I did give it a try here and there. Maybe there was hope for it yet...


~ I made my second nursing suit from it.~



It turned out really great. Sure, it was a little snug getting over my shoulders but that was the only issue I had with it. Maybe its just me, I do have rather broad shoulders :-)

 ~ * ~

I made an Ice Skater Suit for Judith, which she loved! The sleeves were custom length.

 
~ * ~
 
And recently it hit me what a great thing it could be for a girl's suit. Face it, swim fabric doesn't last forever, and it is somewhat delicate. You have to be careful when sitting at the poolside, because concrete will snag your bottoms if you're not paying attention. Or if you're at the lake, you've got to watch out if you choose to sit on a rock. I recall always taking a towel to sit on or even a life jacket.
 Just this past week I had the 8oz fabric in my hands and thought, "You know, I haven't been able to snag this even when I've tried. (sometimes I test the durability of the fabric by rubbing my finger nail on the edge of it) This stuff seems to be un-snagable! What a great thing it would be as a girl's suit! It would last a long time!" So, I decided to make up a few to see how I liked them. What do you think?? 











I gave the bottom of the skirt a smooth finish rather than the usual ruffle. 


Comments

  1. It is super cute, and the fact that it doesn't snag would be great for littlies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Women's 'Ice Skater Suit'

Training Pants (tutorial)

Types of Swimwear Fabric