Project: Maternity Coat

This being my second full term pregnancy, and it being in the middle of winter that I'd be rather round... I knew I'd need to make myself a maternity coat. Being 5'11" means that its near impossible for me to find long sleeved things that are long enough for me. Sewing my own maternity coat was not an option, it was a necessity.
 First, as always, I searched the internet for ideas, patterns, and maybe if I got lucky I'd find someone who had already done this and found the perfect pattern. I did find someone who specializes in DIY Maternity, and has a website devoted to showing her work, and even gives tutorials for others who want to make their own clothing. I found my inspiration over at DIY Maternity by Megan Nielsen. She used McCalls 5766. It was not intended for maternity, but worked well just the same. I found the same pattern here at burdastyle.com/projects: Hannah's first coat. This girl Hannah was a beginner, and if she could make a coat, then I could too. I searched for the pattern and bought it from etsy. Though when I got it I realized that the sizing was small for me and I would need to up-size it a bit. Things I would change about the coat for next time I make one (and I probably will make another) is that I will cut the arm holes a little higher, and if I use a light weight wool again, then I will find a little extra something for another layer of warmth inside the coat. It was kind of a light weight coat because the wool wasn't heavy, but it turned out lovely just the same. 


















~ ~*~ ~


 These were taken at a later date. 8 months along.





I loved the fabric I found. It came from Hancocks Fabrics. I went in search of a grey, like I'd seen in the other photos posted of this coat. But I didn't see any that I liked. This green plaid caught my eye, but I did not buy it, I walked away...I thought maybe I'd get a chance to make a trip to Joann's to see if I could find something grey that I liked. In the meantime, I told a friend I'd seen a green that I liked, and she was like "Green? No, get a grey fabric". That's what I'd thought originally too... I never did get the chance to go to Joann's. Later when I was back at Hancocks, the green plaid was on sale and I just couldn't help but buy it! As I was checking out, the ladies in the store said to me, you should buy enough to make one for Jubilee (they know me well there, well enough to know my daughter's name lol!) I was talked into it way too easily. Found a burda pattern for a kid's coat and purchased my fabric. I'll post pictures of Jubilee's coat too. 
 The next day I showed the green fabric to my friend while saying, "I know you said grey, but it was on sale and I just couldn't help myself!" She saw it and said "But that's beautiful!" :-) So I made a good choice apparently. More proof in the pudding is that everyone who's seen it has loved it. It really wasn't that difficult to make a coat. I believe I will be making more in the future :-) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's 'Ice Skater Suit'

Training Pants (tutorial)

Types of Swimwear Fabric