Maternity Project for Hannah

This Summer a friend of mine had given me a skirt to turn into maternity for her.. I took it a bit further than she asked. Noticing that the hem of this denim skirt was rather ragged I suggested cutting off the hem and putting a ruffle of a different kind of fabric on the bottom. And then I went even further (that's me, not knowing when to stop..) and decided it would be fun to make her a maternity top to match. All was well intended and it looked pretty good together but in the end I found that I liked the skirt just with a t-shirt and the top that I'd made looked better with a pair of jeans. 
 I also wanted to attempt a tutorial with this project so I took pictures that I'll post and I'll try to describe how I made this outfit. Enjoy!!! 


Here is the pattern I used. Since it was an empire waist it made it easy to convert to maternity. I used option A...the pink dress.



  First i copied the pattern, brought up the front neckline and cut out the lining. After the lining I cut the bodice front out differently. See here ^ I made the front bodice have a 2-3" extension. I simply placed it away from the fold and tapered into the neckline gradually. This was because I wanted to gather the front to the lining to make a pretty gathered look across the bust. The lining did have darts in it but the bodice itself didn't, the gathers took care of the extra fabric. * I also cut the arm hole higher *


 Another shot of the top, bodice and bodice lining.


This was the 'skirt' that went on the top, aka..the bottom of the top. I made the front droop down for the baby belly.


Front and Back.

Colorful band on the bottom of the top.


Hannah wearing the maternity top.



We'll take a break here and look at how I modified her skirt...




 The first thing I did in modifying this skirt was to cut out the zipper and cut off the waist band.


 Second, I shortened it and cut a ruffle out of orange fabric that coordinated with the top.


I took Nylon Lycra Stretch fabric found at Hancocks and made my waist band. In my experience folding the fabric over and cutting it at 13-14" makes for a perfect belly band size.

I added the belly band and the ruffle. It turned out so cute. I put it on and thought, man this is a really hot look! :-) I'll have to do this for me next time around. 


Like I said...I did come to the conclusion that the skirt looked better with a more ordinary shirt than the blouse I made. And the Blouse looked great with a pair of jeans... I didn't get pictures of that but I'll post the rest of this outfit below...V 



 Here it is... Its cute together but I did liked it best when the top was put with jeans and the skirt with a t-shirt.


 Back


 Here you can see the zipper at the center back.


 Skirt, showing belly band. 



Well there it is folks...my first tutorial thing. I did have more pictures of construction but sadly they were lost :-( It would have been better if I'd not lost those... But go ahead and tell me what you thought!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's 'Ice Skater Suit'

Training Pants (tutorial)

Types of Swimwear Fabric