Heavy weight

In my fabric choices you'll find some that are labeled "Heavy Weight" Well, what does that mean? Today I'm going to talk about heavy weight swim fabrics. These are different than the standard 6oz fabrics that I grew up with, these are 8oz fabrics. What are the differences? I'm about to tell you. 

In 2012, after 20+ years of being around swim fabrics, I thought I knew something about them... Something, maybe, but everything? No. My first encounter with heavy weight fabric was when the supplier sent me what I thought was the wrong fabric. In truth, I may not have read through all the details before purchasing. What happened was I had bought a small piece of yardage, in a print that I liked. I did this to get a feel for what kind of fabric it was before buying more. Because, as I've said before, its difficult to tell the type/quality of a fabric when you're just looking at a picture online. When I received the fabric in the mail, I was really happy with the quality and went to order some more... only this time when it came, it was a heavier, thicker weight. Also the texture was different, slightly more rough on the outside. It doesn't give to stretching as easily as a medium weight fabric does. It still stretches, but with more resistance than a medium weight fabric would. 

This was the fabric I ordered

I really liked the print, it was different!! Like some kind of abstract art lol! 

~~*~~

And I think this one came at the same time 



My first though when I received my first piece of heavy weight fabric was "Oh no! I can't use this! Its heavy, its thick, it doesn't stretch as easily.. What will it do to my machine?!" So for months, it sat and I did nothing with it. I tried to avoid buying anymore because I didn't know what I'd do with the pieces I already had! Eventually I made something for me out of the 2nd picture. Just because I liked it so much. And also because I was still playing with the design of the nursing suit. While still in the testing stage of a design I try to use a fabric that I don't think will be good for other things. This turned out really cute, but as it was a heavy weight, it didn't want to give much grace for stretching and was rather difficult to get over the shoulders when taking on and off! There was something about the bunching up of the fabric at the sides that made it all the more difficult... It wouldn't be as bad if it were not a scrunch top, but a simple tank.



I've come to learn that these fabrics are great for some things and not so awesome for others... For example, they may not be so great for a scrunch top (regular, or nursing, and definitely not maternity!! That would be the only one I would say for sure not to do, is Maternity.) The best use for them is the style we've called "The Ice Skater Suit" And if you were to use it for a girl's suit, it would be to your best advantage. Why? Well, when handling the fabric one day, just observing it. I noted that it was more durable, and if I took my finger nail and tried to scratch it, snag it, rough it up... it refused to snag! Incredible! Here was the answer to the problem of being around pools/rocks and not being able to sit on concrete or a rock without messing up your suit! This heavy weight fabric would last through so much more than a medium weight fabric ever could! This was an amazing discovery!! I was SO EXCITED!!! Here's a girl's suit done in a heavy weight fabric. 


A girl's Ice Skater Suit



 My friend Corinne ordered this suit from me and she writes this:

"Oh my goodness, Savannah! I got home tonight and my suit was here. I tried it on, and it is absolutely lovely! It fits so nicely, and I like the fabric so much. The gold and blue are so pretty! And, I really like how heavy the fabric is; it makes me feel like it will last and that I don't have to be so careful and dainty with it. I am very pleased; thank you so much for making it so pretty!" :-)

She's right about that fabric. Its gorgeous and durable! :-) Thanks for reading y'all!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's 'Ice Skater Suit'

Training Pants (tutorial)

Types of Swimwear Fabric