My Water Birth Suit

Inspired again by questions from my customers :-) I love you guys! You keep me writing!!! A customer wrote today asking about what I could do for her as she's going to be having a water birth with her soon expected child. She asked about a skirt with panties that snapped at the crotch. I wondered how comfortable that would be. I gave her some pictures of what I'd done for my most recent birth, which was a water birth.

I simply bought a maternity tank and panty off of ebay, for like $15. Yeah, lets do this as smart as possible! Am I right? 


 





















I knew I wanted a pair of panties and a skirt, but I wanted them separate, not together. So when it came time to push a baby out, I could still be wearing a skirt and not feel like I was naked. Brilliant right? I thought so! I got this cute brown suit off of ebay and paired some solid brown fabric with it, making a skirt with a comfortable belly band. 

  I didn't finish the top edge on this one, whereas usually I do. I didn't care if it was finished or not. The fabric won't fray anyway. Its folded down a little in the picture because my mannequin is unrealistically tiny in the waist lol! I was not that tiny near my due date! So I filled the belly band out nicely.


I also couldn't stand that the top had a peep hole in the chest, or that the neckline was so low. Even in my own home, with only my birth team around...I still didn't want my chest hanging out. Not acceptable at all! Well, it would have made me feel immodest anyway! To fix that little problem, I cut out a piece of the solid brown fabric, hemmed the top edge, and tacked it in, in such a way that I could untie the peephole and pull the brown fabric out of the way to nurse. 


 I know some may ask.. "Why didn't you just wear a maternity top that you had made??" I really had to ask myself the same question. I mean..I make swimwear.. so why buy swimwear? Kinda didn't make a lot of sense. But ultimately I wanted to buy a tank with thin shoulder straps. I didn't want any extra fabric around my shoulders/neck/back. Because I know that when I'm working through contractions I get hot flashes that make me feel like I'm gonna pass out. So my birth team puts cold cloths on my neck/back/arms/face to help me feel cool. And that's why I didn't want extra fabric that was just gonna be all wet!


 And that's how it was done! I love, love, loved the skirt!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's 'Ice Skater Suit'

Training Pants (tutorial)

Types of Swimwear Fabric