March and April Sewing Seminar

It has long been an idea that mom and I needed to host a sewing class on modest swimwear. It finally happened this year. Our friend Tasha made flyers with the dates and information. Invitations were sent and models were chosen. Mom and I both had a model to sew for. At the end of the class they got to keep their suits. Mom's model would be a 10 year old girl and mom would demonstrate making the original style for her. My model was a young lady in her mid teens, and I would be making her the 'Ice Skater Style', (as I call it). 
 March 5th, at 10:00am in the morning, we met at my parent's home with several home school families. Children watched science, school, and bible videos in the living room until they tired of this and went out of doors to play. There is plenty of space to play, as my parent's live on a 300 acre farm. The mothers and babies were around the large dining room table for the start of our lesson.We were learning how to cut out and assemble swimwear pants. When the lesson was over everyone took lunch together. It was a lovely time of fellowship. Everyone was sent home with fabric and told to practice for the next time we met we'd be dealing with any problems that arose.
 Two weeks later on March 19th we met again. There were indeed issues. It was my understanding that everyone was supposed to put things together at home and come back with questions and any problems. But instead it seemed that some people had waited until that very morning to cut out their shorts. :sigh: Oh well. :shrug: 
 There was some re-cutting of fabric and careful watching while they put their shorts together. At the end of the day everyone left with their accomplishments in hand. 
 April 2nd came around the corner and we were teaching how to make the top of the suit. Mom had wondered if we'd get through all of it in one day, since the top is more complicated. We did make it through all of it that day, but mom and I did have to work through lunch to finish.The girls modeled their suits for us once the suits were completed. Pictures below....


 Girl's suit, made by Donna Leggett


Women's suit made by me

 
 Mom's model, Tori
 

  
My model, Sarah





Next Monday is our last meeting. I'm sure it will be interesting to see how its gone for everyone. I should have taken more pictures...pictures of the process. I may take some this coming week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's 'Ice Skater Suit'

Training Pants (tutorial)

Types of Swimwear Fabric